Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Stag!


It's Wedding season!

I don’t plan parties. It’s far too much work. People are far too flaky. I’m far too anal. It’s true.

But after a few hints, Lola and I decided we should probably take our groomsmaid duties a bit more serious (yes, groomsmaid is now a word, I thus decree). We met in early May. The wedding is in August. Plenty of time, right?

Except that May disappeared, quickly followed by June. Time sure does speed up when you get older. Before I knew it, bam, July. And the S-T-A-G!!! Gah.

After some frantic emailing, people were finally invited, theme picked and places decided on. We met at the dollar store to pick up decorations. Oh yes, the dollar store. We bees classy like that.

Theme – Tiki picnic

Place – Beacon Hill park followed by Darcy’s Pub

What – picnic followed by drinks followed by… where ever the night would take us.

Stephen and Jason hate surprises and laid it on thick but people managed to keep the secret and they were surprised when they showed up.

It went well. The picnic was fun. Tons of food, tacky decorations and a beautiful day. All of the different groups of friends mingled nicely. The sangria I made went down well (I may not be able to cook, but I can mix a mean drink. And by mean I mean strong.)

Next we headed to Darcy’s. There was a mix up because our sort of reservation was obviously not communicated to anyone. But eventually we all made it in and then the drinking began in earnest. Stephen had said and I quote “I don’t want to drink too much or party too hard”. Challenge? I think so. We played pool. Drank buckets. And danced! I even smashed my head against a railing in a moment of flail so hard that I thought I may have a concussion. Nothing in moderation.

We then headed to Hush for some D-A-N-C-I-N-G. I had no money left which is good because I did not need anymore. I remember hip bumping Chris across the dance floor because let’s face it, my hips should be labeled dangerous weapons. I remember a gay man telling me he loved me. I remember smacking someone with my purse.

Afterwards, they all went for veggie dogs at Mr. Tubesteak, where Jason and Judd proceeded to get shit on by a flock of seagulls. I didn't see it because I was headed home. I awoke to a major head ache and a very sore head. So sore in fact that 4 days later, my boss made me go to the doctor to make sure I didn't have a concussion. I don't. But it sure would have capped the evening - Shari partied so hard she gave herself a concussion!

Later in the week, Lola managed to plan a complete surprise shower. It was so much a suprise that the boys took their dog that got so excited he pooped the minute he saw everyone.

Yes, I do see the shit theme here.

I'm sitting here currently, waiting for the girls to pick me up for Tamara's stagette. Yes, 2 stags in 2 weekends. I'm going to be partied out soon.

S.

No comments: