Sunday, November 4, 2007

Conference

I had mentioned to my friend, IngMarie, that I didn't really know anyone in the city. She suggested attending the Young Women Leadership Conference. I figured, hey, if I'm going to spend 100 bucks I might as well spend it on something that does my soul good and not on a new pair of boots (which I did a few days later. Oops).

A bunch of women in a room together? Sounds scary. But no, it was FAB-U-LOUS!

So, here's the thing. Put me at a dinner table with people I don't know or at a bar, and I'm silent. I hate small talk. If I don't have something to contribute, I don't. I hate when people talk for no reason at all, other than to hear the sound of their own voices (this does not include people who are funny, they can talk all they want). But, put me at a table of people I don't know and have a directed discussion about the qualities of a great leader? Oh, I'm all over that shit.

There was talk of peer mentoring groups and I decided to join one. That will be next week. There were breakout sessions. I went to Entrepreneurship, Women's Relation with money and Volunteering Abroad. Basically, I'll sum up what I learned. Owning your own business? SCARY! My relation with money? I don't have lots of the hang ups that the other girls in my group do (I do not think it's unfeminine to talk about money) but I do have some "blueprints" lurking in my old noggin that need some adjusting. Volunteering abroad? Like I needed more incentive to get on a plane.

For a hundred bucks, I got 4 meals, a door prize of a free haircut, and tons of inspiring thoughts. Not bad for a weekend.

I made the point of sitting next to someone new each and every time we ate and tried to interact with them. I don't think I made any friends but I made a point to myself. I can interact with strangers. I just have to fake that I'm confident and eventually, I'll forget that I'm faking. Hell, a comment about the undergrad who was pumping George Michael's Christmas song with a back beat of house from his res window landed me a ride home. And rides the next day. Thanks George, for helping me become more outgoing!

Good times. Good times.

No comments: