Sunday, August 17, 2008

Tams got hitched

"Shhhhaaaarrrriiii, my bridesmaid has the flu, my dad tore his Achilles and it looks like it's going to rain on my wedding day."

Every bride freaks out I'm told, even those who are cool, calm and collected. That was a phone call a few days before the big day.

But the day was lovely. Alina, the bridesmaid sucked it up. And Tamara's dad walked her up the aisle with crutches. We make due.

Tamara and James. Ah. So many years ago, Tamara and I were in the same situation. We both had best friends who were guys. Tamara loved to tell me how Jason and I were perfect for each other and we should just get on with it. I would always respond with how she and James would be a perfect couple. She would always scrunch up her nose and say "eww".

James, after bouncing from University to University, was in Toronto doing his undergrad in music. Tamara went to visit him as best friends are bound to do. But something happened on that trip and Tamara came home best friendless in a sense. In the best possible sense.

After about 6 years, living together, living in different countries, living separated in different countries, they finally tied the knot. Which is wonderful, because I've never seen a guy look at a girl the way that James looks at Tamara. You know, the doopey smile and puppy dog eyes.

They got married on the beach at Piper's Lagoon Park. They got married under a driftwood arch that Tamara's dad had made. They got married in a ceremony that was wonderful and a little bit dorky. They got married to music that James had written for Tamara. They got married in a ceremony that was exactly them.

I admit it. I'm a tough girl (or I was in the past), but I cried during the ceremony. I also cried during the speeches at the reception. People are so touching at the big moments in our lives. At the ceremonies that mark our transition from one life to the next.

I drank too much as I do so often (hey, the bartender was very hot) but the night was so fun. We danced far into the night.

Wedding. Who knew. And I'm pleased to say that I was the first one to call the James and Tamara show, all those years ago.

S.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.