Sunday, October 28, 2007

The best place in the world

OK. I admit it. I'm extremely biased. But really, there isn't a person I know who hasn't been to Vancouver Island and not thought it was amazingly beautiful.

The first thing I can think of, when I think of home, is the green. As far as the eye can see. We live in a mid latitude rain forest. Yes, that is why it rains so much. But the rain can be gotten used to, and unfortunately, so can the beauty this island has. You really have to leave to appreciate it.

I have been to some exquisite places. The Caldera of Santorini Island in Greece takes your breath away with its shocking starkness featured against the blue of the ocean. The quaintness of Otaru on Hokkaido Island in Japan, lit up against hundreds of snow sculptures with candles, makes you feel like you are in a wonderland. The underwater miracle that is Koi Phi Phi in Thailand, makes you wish you were born a fish. The Cloud Forest in Peru, high in the Andes is a feeling that can not be properly described.

But as amazing as these places are, Vancouver Island can compete. Take a float plane from Vancouver airport. You leave the mainland and for minutes are complete surrounded by the Georgia Straight. Then, on the horizon, you catch your first glimpse of the island. It is an arc of green. Slowly, the city of Nanaimo can been seen, framed by Mount Benson in the background and the wilderness on either side. Down island, the city of Gardens is world famous. As it should be. As restless as I am, and as much as I have the need to leave, Victoria will be the place I always come back to.

However, my favourite place is one that not many know about. Out on the west coast is the village of Ucluelet, the place I spent the first 5 years of my life. It is tiny and is the rainiest place in Canada. It is here that the west coast rain forest can be seen in full effect. In nearby Tofino people come to watch storms. Yes, watch storms. The beach is so wind blown that the trees grow at strange angles, like they are trying to run away from the beach.

Just down from my Grandmother's house is Hetinkis Park. It's tiny and hardly anyone uses it. In fact, Roots lodge kind of ruined the best parts of it grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Not bitter, not at all. It's a boardwalk through the rain forest and down to a pebble beach surrounded with huge rocks that the waves crash against.

It's beautiful.

When I die, this is where I want my ashes to be spread. Because no place in the world can compete with this tiny peace of paradise.

So, you can see I'm biased about this island. But I'm not the only one. People all over North America think so too.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/10/26/travel-survey.html

Vancouver Island has been named North America's best island for the sixth year in a row in a Condé Nast Traveler readers' choice survey that also awarded sixth-place honours to P.E.I.

So forgive me if I gloat a little. Tony Blair recently said to look out for Canada as it is set to become a powerful nation. Maybe Ontario and Alberta will. Us here in BC are far too occupied enjoying our Eden.

S.

No comments: