Sunday, October 14, 2007

With Furniture...

Here's the thing. When you are a purging maniac like I am (not the bulimic type, rather the type that likes to throw away personal possessions) and you move to another country, your furniture goes AWOL. But, you are gone for two and half years and you forget that you hauled it to the dump or gave it away for a pittance. In your head, you have a whole shitload of furniture waiting patiently for your eventual arrival home.

Yeah, I do have a selective memory. I choose not to deal with it.


So, home I came two months ago, and quickly discovered... I don't own a bed, among other deficits in my furniture-less state. No biggie, right? I had hardly any furniture in Japan. I can deal.

So, I moved into a tiny apartment in the non-downtown downtown section of Victoria. It's not the size of the hamster cage I lived in in Japan but it is tiny. 250 square feet to be precise and has a shared bathroom. But seriously, when you are only paying 385 a month, you deal, even if the girl upstairs always likes to take looooonnnnggg baths when you really have to pee.

The previous tenant had left me a loft bed. It sounded fun in theory. Everything that has loft in the title sounds fun. But in reality, it was a bunk bed minus the bottom bunk. So, that first night, I braved the loft. Climbed up the ladder, tried to lay down, quickly freaked out, climbed down, pulled the mattress off the loft and set it up on the floor. Classy. Apparently, I'm not 8 years old, the only right age to be sleeping in a bunk bed.

Got rid of that thing as soon as it was possible to make Robin come and get the bed. Alina sold me her futon which is nothing like my poor futon in Japan. It really should be called a bed/couch. It's comfy though. So, for a month that's what I had. Computer on the floor and the rest of my life on a bed. Unfortunately, the rest of my life is pretty boring at the moment.

So, you can realize my excitement this weekend. I was getting... furniture. Mom brought me a computer desk and Dad brought me a sofa and one of the pink high backed chairs that I absolutely loved in my house growing up. The minute I move somewhere bigger I'm getting the other one. Even if I have to steal it.

I'm all for reducing our personal possessions. But life without furniture... well you might as well be a dog, roaming the floor for scraps.

On the other hand, there sure isn't much room now to have one person dance parties. Maybe I'll actually have to go out to get my dancing in. Alas.

S.

1 comment:

Nadine said...

Oh,my pink chair that he wouldn't give back...