Thursday, October 25, 2007

No freakin' wonder

My name is Shari but I pronounce it like Sheri, not like shaa-ri. It's my name and I can pronounce it anyway I like. Besides, it's a derivative of Sharon which most people pronounce as Sherin anways.

I digress. It's a bit of a sore subject with me.

In Japan the kids that I taught called me Shari-sensei. Pronounced nice and proper like. When I went and taught with other teachers, they introduced me the way I like. Except Aaron. Aaron figured because there was no "she" sound in the Japanese language, he would use the "sha" sound. It's hard to explain this if you don't know the Japanese vowels, because they don't sound like they look in English. S-h-e would be pronounced like sh plus the e in egg. Sha would be pronounced like shampoo.

So I would be Shaari sensei with an a like shampoo in his class. The kids would giggle. Never really understood why. However, they giggled about most things that I did so I never had another thought about it.

Monday was Heroes night. The boys and I watch it every Monday. So Stephen and I used the opportunity to make sushi. I knew there was a recipe to make the rice, so I looked it up on wikipedia. And I come across this lovely sentence...

The common ingredient across all the different kinds of sushi is sushi rice (known as shari in Japanese).

Note the "known as shari in Japanese". No freakin' wonder they were laughing at me. He was calling me sushi rice sensei.

Hmph.

S.

No comments: